Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Itsty Bitsy Spider

I was spoiled for a couple of weeks when there were back to back teams and a week of no school. I didn't have to walk up the mountain for almost 3 entire weeks! In that span of time the rainy season has come into full swing. It rains nearly every evening, and often rains in the afternoon too. A medical team from (mostly) Oregon was here last week, and there were several days we came down the mountain in the pouring rain. It can be intense around here during the rainy season!

Anyway, the team left on Tuesday morning, so I've had to hoof it up and down the mountain the past two days. This morning while I was picking my way along the muddy, rock filled road* down to the riverbed I had a revelation. I am the itsy bitsy spider.

The insanely crazy Britney walked up the mountain road
Down came the rain, and washed that Britney down.
Up came the sun, and dried up all the rain,
And the insanely crazy Britney went up the road again.


 
*It really can't be considered a road; that would imply drivable conditions. It's little more than the route the rain water takes to get to the riverbed. It just happens to be wide enough for a vehicle. The only trucks that drive this path are a) going to Gramothe, b) dumping trash or dirt in the riverbed, or c) getting rocks or sand from the riverbed.

1 comment:

  1. My father-in-law, who was a missionary to Haiti, and actually died of a heart attack while in Haiti, used to say "to be a missionary in Haiti you either need to be 'called' or have a great sense of humor, and it helps to have both". You've definitely have both!!!

    I admire you girl! You're doing a great job. Blessings,
    Elnora (from Middlebury IN, Apr 4-11 medical team)

    ReplyDelete