Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Easter=the end of rara

I haven't posted this until now because I couldn't get the video to upload. Sorry it's late, but I thought you might still be interested in what I was thinking a couple of weeks ago.

I love Jesus. I'm so incredibly thankful for his sacrifice on the cross. Resurrection Sunday is a special day, and I'm looking forward to celebrating with my Haitian church family.

And I'm also really, really excited for the end of the rara bands that play their horrible music for all of Lent. They've really kicked up their "parades" this weekend and I would like to shove their horns down their throats. I know that's not a very Christian sentiment, but they play at all hours of the night... and day for that matter. They walk through neighborhoods playing the same three notes over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. And that's not enough "overs" to convey how repetitious their songs are. The other reason I don't like them is that they represent the opposite of Christ rising from the dead. I don't know how tied to voodoo they are because I get varying reports. But what I do know is that Haitian Christians (and non-Haitians who understand the culture better than I do) have strong feelings against this music.

Here's a little sampling of rara music. They passed by my street on the main road about three times last night between 5:30 and 6. You may have to turn your sound up to hear the music.

1 comment: