Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

He, She, It, Red, Blue, Yellow, White, Brown, White, Black

On Thursday I went back to Laboule for our second English lesson. The kids are awesome. While I went to drop something off in the kitchen, they spread the word that I had arrived. By the time I was finished in the kitchen, all of them were gathered on the porch for our lesson. For the first two lessons the kids have set up chairs in a semicircle on the porch, and I have used a chair in front of them. I say a word or a phrase and then kids repeat me.

The second session began with some review of Monday's lesson.  Then I introduced the words clock, chalkboard, paper, boy, and girl. I introduce one word at a time by showing them the picture, saying This is a clock., and then they repeat me. As I introduce new words we go back and review the other words we've learned. Sometimes I choose one child to name an object, other times I just ask What's this? and see who answers me.

The other two concepts we worked on during lesson de (Creole for lesson 2) were colors and pronouns. Learning colors came very easily for the kids. Pronouns was a different story. It took me a long time to teach them the difference between I am ___. and You are___. And I even know the Creole for those phrases!

I can't tell you how much I already love working with these kids. They are so eager to learn that a couple of them have taken the initiative to write down all the words they've learned in a notebook. I think they are going to give me a run for my money this year!

Here's a video of one of the boys introducing himself.  Johnson is the oldest boy at Laboule, and I think he's going to be my best student there.


1 comment:

  1. britney! i'm so excited that your lovin' life down there so far. i'll be keeping up with your blog and i love that your keeping up with mine :) thanks for everything britney! love you, and am praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete