Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

God Will Make A Way

One of the first songs my students asked me about was "God Will Make a Way." It's one  of a handful of songs they know in English, so they wondered if I knew it. I had heard it before, but I didn't know the song. They sang it for me, in English and Creole. Since then I've heard it quite a few times in the last 6 months.

The other day I was walking to the guest house when a man walking somewhere behind me busted out singing, "God will make a way, when there seems to be no way..." As I heard him sing, I had an epiphany. This song should be the national anthem of Haiti.

  • When an earthquake destroys homes and businesses, God will make a way.
  • When the baby is sick and there's no money to go to the hospital, God will make a way.
  • When parents don't know how they'll pay for their children's education, God will make a way.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Britney! When we were in Haiti in 1998 with Compassion, I was completely overwhelmed by the suffering and poverty I saw - and equally overwhelmed by the hope I experienced at the Compassion partner churches/projects. At one of the projects on our last day the Holy Spirit spoke to me and our group there profoundly as the children sang in English and Creole "God Will Make a Way". That night - our last night in Haiti - our group sang this song together along with some Haitian staff on the roof of the Hotel Montana. It was an amazing experience that I will never forget.
    God bless you!!!
    Julie Patterson

    ReplyDelete