Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Safe Arrival

I arrived safely in Haiti yesterday afternoon. I hooked up with the Little by Little medical team at the airport, so I had some companions while I was traveling. We arrived in Port au Prince around 4:45 and we were loaded and on our way up the mountain by 5:30. Traveling to and from the airport is always interesting to me because it's the only time I really see Port au Prince. There was some traffic as we made our way through the city, and it took about an hour and half to get to the guest house. I ate with the team and then Willem took me home around 8. I was mostly unpacked and in bed by 9:30. It was a long day of travel after not much sleep at my brother's apartment, but it was good to be back in Haiti.

I was expecting to be at the clinic today, but clinic won't start until tomorrow. Willem's mother passed away suddenly on Monday, so the funeral was this morning. I was very sad to hear of her passing, and I hope that you will join me in praying for her family, most of whom are my neighbors. I'm glad I was able to be here for the funeral.

After the funeral I went back to my apartment and worked on unpacking some more from my suitcase. This afternoon, I helped Beth at 36. I liked being to talk to her about my time at home and what's been going on here (elections, cholera, Aquid's passing) without the team around. Tonight I'll rest and prepare to be busy in the clinic for the next week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment