Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Art of Being Tactful

I will be the first person to tell you that I have never been known for possessing tact. The ability to deal with delicate situations sensitively just doesn't come naturally to me. I don't intend to cause offense; it just happens. More often than I'd like. Today, however, I found the roles reversed.

Our teaching team, comprised of 7 teachers, was discussing differentiated instruction this afternoon when the offender struck. She started by explaining that she doesn't have time to differentiate her lesson plans because being a wife and mother demands her time and attention. Then she pointed at me and declared in a tone that indicated I have no excuse, "You're not married. You don't have kids."

Clearly being single equates to having no life. Aside from the time I spend mentoring teens at my church, the responsibilities I have as a member of various organizations, the commitment I have to my small group, and the general obligations of being a good homeowner, pet owner, daughter, sister, and friend I've got nothing going on.

***To be fair, I really wasn't upset with the woman who callously pointed out I was single and childless. She wasn't being mean. She was trying to say that even had if she less responsibilities at home she wouldn't have time to differentiate every lesson. However, I was a little shocked that she brought my marital status into the discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment