Pages

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Can you feel the love?

Traditionally my family has celebrated Thanksgiving with my paternal grandparents. Every year we spent all of Thanksgiving Day at my Grandma and Grandpa's house for the whole day. We ate and talked and played games. Most years we even got the spud gun out. I have many fond memories of spending time with my family at Thanksgiving.

Unfortunately Grandma and Grandpa moved to Missouri several years ago and the tradition of spending the day with my dad's brothers and their families fizzled out. This year my grandparents planned to come back to Indiana for Thanksgiving. We were all going to be together again. I was pumped about seeing my cousins because I don't see them often.

Two weeks ago my grandma was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her surgeon scheduled the surgery to remove the lump on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Unfortunately she wasn't going to be in a condition to travel 10 hours, so my grandma and grandpa decided to stay in Missouri for the holiday. Grandma and Grandpa weren't coming, so my uncle in Ohio said they weren't coming either. Then the uncle who was going to host everyone called my dad with the message that we didn't need to come either. Awesome.

And that's how Thanksgiving was officially canceled in the Smith family.

No comments:

Post a Comment