Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Giving Up Your LIfe

Last week Pastor John preached on parts of Luke 9. You know the part of the Bible where Jesus says,  “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.” Then we sang a song (below) in church today that talks about being the hands and feet of Jesus. There's a line that says, "I wanna give my life away, all for your kingdom's sake."

I want that. I can't tell you how much I want that. But I also feel a lot like the rich young ruler lately. I want to follow Jesus, but it's hard to leave behind the life I have here. 

When I get on that plane to Haiti in three weeks, I'll be leaving behind

  • watching Big Bang Theory with my dad
  • hot showers any time I want
  • Christmas with my family (I start crying every time I think about this. I have a plan for skyping with them that day, but it tears my heart out that I won't be there with them.)
  • spur of the moment movie nights with friends
  • going shopping with my mom whenever she comes to Mishawaka
  • seeing my mom graduate from Bethel in May
  • being able to communicate with nearly everyone I meet
  • the many extended family get-togethers the Myers family has
  • holding my best friends' babies as we talk about life
  • giving and receiving hugs from the people I love
  • understanding everything my students say to me 
  • watching funny TV shows with my friends
Don't get me wrong, I want to return to Haiti. I'm looking forward to it. I know that God wants me to be in Haiti, and I'm excited to get back there. It's just not as easy to say goodbye to life here as I wish it was. 


No comments:

Post a Comment