Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Heavy

Even though it's been almost a week, I still feel quite overwhelmed by everything I heard and saw at the human trafficking conference. There was so much to take in. There was an excellent presentation given by the director of the Central Ohio Rescue and Restore Coalition that explained many different facets of human trafficking. What it is, where it happens, who is at risk for being sucked into it, how to identify victims, and even what the recovery process might look like. We watched two very good, but hard to watch, documentaries about human trafficking in the United States. The hardest part of the day was probably when Theresa Flores shared her story of human trafficking. I bought her book The Slave Across the Street, which was recently released. To finish out the evening, there was a panel of people available to answer questions. I was so overwhelmed I couldn't think of questions to ask, but it was good to listen to the questions others had.

Heavy as this topic is, the statistics and stories and especially the faces of the victims fuel me to do whatever I can to fight against this evil. And the first step is raising awareness in my community. Will you take a few minutes to learn more about human trafficking at the Polaris Project website?

No comments:

Post a Comment