Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Mother's Magic

I can't decide if this is embarrassing or not, but I'm throwing it out there anyway. My last post got me thinking about how my mom always puts together a little Valentine's Day present for me. I've never questioned her reasoning, I've just gladly accepted whatever little treasures she's chosen to give me. (As I type this, it occurs to me that she may do it because there's no one else to make the day special for me. That's depressing. I'll try not to dwell on it the rest of the day.) The magic of gifts from my mother is that I always love them. She has this seemingly unnatural ability to choose something that I will adore but would either never buy for myself or never thought about buying for myself. For instance, this year on Resurrection Sunday she gave me a set of plastic mixing bowls with handles. They are orange, electric blue, and bright green. They aren't anything special, but they are similar to a Tupperware "pancake" bowl she's had since before I was born. I was ecstatic to have a mixing bowl with a handle. And the funky colors were an added bonus. She also got me a kitchen tool for browning hamburger. I've wanted one for a while, but I'm sure I never told her. Maybe I can convince my mom to teach me her magic ways. Then I won't have to ask the internet for help coming up with a good Mother's Day present.

No comments:

Post a Comment